So the Recipe:
Slow Cooker Layered Enchilada Dinner
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef - I used 85% but next time will use the 93% I usually have on hand.
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)- I found this to be about half and onion so I froze the other half.
1 clove garlic, finely chopped- I doubled this since I LOVE garlic!
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup- Picked up the 98% fat free version
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
10 corn tortillas (6 inch)- I found when layering in my round crock pot putting one whole one in the middle and cutting the others for the layers in half worked best.
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (12 oz)- I actually couldn't find this at my local grocery store so instead I used a shredded mexican blend.
Chopped fresh cilantro- I didn't use this because well I HATE cilantro.
(my added ingredient: Oregano. I used it while cooking up the meat mixture and sprinkled it over the top before cooking)
- In 10-inch skillet, cook ground beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in soup and chiles.
- Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce in bottom of slow cooker. Place 4 corn tortillas over sauce, overlapping and breaking in half as necessary to make an even layer. Top with 1/3 of beef mixture, spreading evenly. Drizzle with about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat layering twice, using 3 corn tortillas and half of remaining beef mixture, enchilada sauce and cheese in each layer. Sprinkle paprika over top.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 hours 30 minutes to 5 hours 30 minutes.- You should really know your Slow Cooker and how it cooks. Mine cooks faster than some and cooks best with a layer of tin foil over the top before the lid.
- Let stand about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with cilantro.
4 servings: 692 Cal; 38 fat; 49 carb;41 protein
6 servings; 463 Cal; 26 fat; 32 carb;27 protein
The verdict... YUMMY! I loved it a little to much and over indulged :) QC my picky boy actually ate some of it! Thanks J.B. can't wait to try out another of your family favorites.