Influencer Programs

 photo Screenshot_19_zps7ec257dc.jpg  photo Screenshot_20_zps0fff9149.jpg

Friday, April 12, 2013

Chicken and Barley Soup *Crock Pot*

I love soup! Really love soup. I could eat it every day of the week and be happy. The problem is canned soups are extremely high in sodium and there are all kinds of things that, well, I can't pronounce!  So as my family is trying to eat better and less of the processed foods I needed to start with my own soups. So far I have had great success with Stuffed Pepper soup, white bean Chili, and Beef Stew. So time to step it up and go out of my comfort zone. I love barley but have NEVER cooked with it. So without further ado!

Chicken and Barley Soup

  • 8cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or make your own!!!)
  • 1/2cup regular barley (make sure it's not the quick cooking kind...)
  • 4skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1 1/4 pounds total), 
  • 3stalks celery, sliced
  • 3medium carrots, sliced
  • 1medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4cup snipped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1tablespoon snipped fresh sage or rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried sage or rosemary, crushed
  • 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1cup chopped green, yellow, and/or red sweet pepper


     Now as with all my recipes the spices are very much adjustable but for the recipe's sake I measured as best I could. 

In your crock pot put down your chicken, veggies, spices (excluding the fresh parsley), and barley. Then pour over the broth. My crock pot is a 5qt and it all fit. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. When ready to serve pull out the chicken and dice or shred. Add in the fresh parsley at the very end.
Make Ahead Tip
  • Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare as directed. Let cool for 30 minutes. Transfer to airtight freezer containers. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight (soup may still be a little icy). Place soup in a saucepan; heat through over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
   Makes 8 Servings: approx 1 1/2 cups each.

The only change I plan on making is possibly adding some more barley since as I said before I love it! 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment