Influencer Programs

 photo Screenshot_19_zps7ec257dc.jpg  photo Screenshot_20_zps0fff9149.jpg

Monday, August 6, 2012

Cheddar and Herb Biscuits!

This is not my recipe, I got this from another blog that I found thru Pintrest. You will find the blog post here: Stick a Fork in it . Now on to the recipe. As some of you may or may not know I am pregnant and have those urges to bake even though it's a record breaking summer. Today I decided out of the blue to finally try this recipe that I had printed out months ago but just never got to. I wanted mashed potatoes stuffing into biscuits so here you go!

Biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (my adaption was my spice mix; garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and pepper)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons butter, cold (or room temp works too)
1 cup buttermilk (i never have buttermilk so i use 1 c milk and 1 1/2 tsp vinegar... let them sit together until little bubbles appear on the top, about ten min.)
1 1/4-2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used about 1 1/2 cups since QC decided he needed to make sure the cheese was good)

Buttery Topping:
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (not necessary... just pretty)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder (again spice mixture adaption)
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until coarse crumbs are formed. (I will later come back and add a link with video of me cutting in butter and shortening since I didn't take as many pictures this time. )

Lightly mix in grated cheese. Mix in buttermilk just until moist (dry spots here and there are ok - the biscuits will be tough if they are over mixed). Drop the biscuits onto a greased or lined baking sheet (i got a dozen from mine). Bake for 12-14 minutes, until browned and golden. While the biscuits are baking, in a small bowl combine butter, parsley, garlic powder and salt. Right when the biscuits come out of the oven, brush the butter/herb mixture over the biscuits evenly (alternately, you can dip the top of the biscuit into the butter mixture). Serve immediately.

   Now for mine and QC's review:

              These are nice and soft inside, not too chewy, and a wonderful garlic flavor! I can't wait to fill them later on with my lumpy mashed potatoes! QC is a super picky eater lately and he had this to say "mm mm mm num num more more" He ate half a biscuit in less time than it took for me to eat the same amount.
  And of course can't leave out the pictures:


Final note:
This is now going in my I love file and I will be making these a lot. I expect I just found a new item for those holiday meals!
Again a big thank you to Kristen at Stick a Fork in it for the amazing recipe!
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment